Tax Return Checklist
March 22, 2021
Make tax time relax time – it’s possible if you stay organized! Take note of the following, and remember to use your Heartland Bank account number and routing number for direct deposit to get your tax return quickly.
The checklist of items usually needed for tax filing includes:
1. Info about you and your income
- Social Security numbers of you, your spouse and your dependents
- Forms W-2 for you and your spouse
- Forms 1099-INT, -DIV, -B, etc., for interest and investment earnings
- Plus, any income from tax refunds, alimony received, business or farming profit/loss, IRA/pension distributions, rental property income/expense, Social Security benefits, etc.
2. Adjustments to your income
- IRA contributions, energy credits, student loan interest, alimony paid, self-employed pension plans and more can all help reduce the amount of your income that is taxed.
- Include documentation for any taxes already paid such as real estate taxes and state and local income taxes.
3. Itemized deductions and credits
- Common deductions include Advance Child Tax Credit payment, child care costs, education costs, adoption costs, home mortgage interest paid, charitable donations, medical and dental expenses and qualifying employee expenses.
This content is for informational purposes only. Readers should under no circumstances rely upon this information as a substitute for their own research or for obtaining specific advice from their own counsel.