Perks of Shopping Small
October 24th, 2019
Thanksgiving leftovers are in the fridge and holiday shopping is officially underway. While Black Friday and Cyber Monday often overshadow their small business counterpart, Small Business Saturday is becoming more popular each year, and for good reason. Read on for 5 reasons why you should make the effort to shop small this year.
- Increase your real estate value. Neighborhoods served by successful small businesses see home values increase by an average of 50%.
- Help create jobs in your community. Small businesses employ 50-60% of Americans. Your spending goes further with them, too. $10 million spent creates an average of 57 jobs at a small business, while Amazon reports that same spending only creates 14 jobs with their organization.
- Contribute to Charity. Compared to chain stores, small businesses donate twice as much money to charity per year.
- Enjoy access to more diverse or customized products. Looking for a spirit item to support your local school? A local small business is more likely to carry it than a chain store. Plus, you’ll probably find a greater selection of products from specialty or local producers.
- Small businesses give back to your community. Businesses pay sales taxes to the city they’re located in, so when you stay at home to shop, your money supports your own public schools, parks, roads, and public service workers. When choosing between a small business and a chain retailer in your town, though, remember that small businesses are more likely to support community initiatives such as little league teams and school fundraisers.